The Myth of Caffeine

Tuesday, September 04, 2012


If you're a junior-senior student enrolled for six major courses that entail you to read as much as you breathe, you only need time, neon pens and caffeine. This is true for me, and I seem to work more productive under pressure and deadlines are my ultimate inspiration. Also, all-nighters here are natural (swear! I live in busiest building of Taft Avenue where students run for their lives, and of course, for their grades).


These past few weeks, it had been the busiest most productive season of my life. The last month of my last academic term, and so I had to put on a new routine and schedule for me to cope with all the workload. I introduced myself to coffee. (Hello Coffee, I'm milk-chocolate!) I just know something is really critical when I'm forced to get coffee. I pulled out four consecutive nights of all-nighters. I read for more than 16 hours straight almost every day. I simultaneously drank strong coffee and sweet chocolate to keep myself awake. I only had random 1-hour of power naps just to keep myself functioning. I held on to coffee--something that would sharpen my mind and would give me that vital boost. 

Suddenly, it came to point where no amount of coffee could ever sustain me. I was physically awake and active, yet I felt the energy to be very hollow. It felt like I was separated within, and no matter how I tried to focus (timers for every reading/extra pressure), all the effort was being wasted. My mind froze. I was stuck in the same page for hours. I knew I was sleepy but my body just couldn't sleep anymore. (You get the picture)


In real life, it is the same thing. We always have the tendency to look for some "caffeine" in every corner of life, thinking that The "coffee" would be the one to get us through the toughest time. We look for strength from those coffees. We think that it only takes a cup of strong coffee to endure the all-nighters in life. All nighters that require most of our patience, our efforts, our time and our energy.  those times when we feel so undeserving of such torture. But yeah, "It's alright, I'm caffeinated." What's your coffee? All along, that coffee knocks you out all because of its artificial strength.


Sunrise everyday, everyday ok. HAHAHA

At the end of the night, my here comes the sun moment would remind me that no amount of coffee could ever equal the grace of God in such situations. 
Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassion never fail. They are new every morning. Great is his faithfulness.  (Lam 3:22-23)
God is within her; she will not fall; God will help her at the break of the day. (Ps. 46:5) 
I love you Lord, my strength. (Ps. 18:1) 
You know what sustains man at any circumstance? It's simply just Love. It's just love. It's love that will stir up greater passion in us knowing that we're not relying on our own strength but on the strength of the One who made this universe and who made us into our very being; and He is there to help us in our needs. It is his love that lavishes us with the grace to do all things with wisdom, especially in managing our time and our priorities. It is His love that compels us to be more than excellent, not for our own name but for His glory. At the end of the day, it is his love that pampers us, sets our souls and bodies anew and brings forth wonderful seasons of rest, seasons to be lifted up and to be filled once again. You don't need coffee. You need your Lover. So my friend, if you are weary today, don't be caffeinated. Just be Loved.
 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and will not grow weary, they will walk and will not be faint. (Is. 40:3-31)
and here's to a very inspiring, not so typical Christian song that speaks of it all:

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Hello! It's my first time to visit this blog. I never tried going to college because I'm a teen mom. :)) But I'm planning to go to college next year. Hope that I'll also experience what you have written here in this post! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Princess, Thank you, I appreciate you sharing something to me. Hoping for the best for you! Surely, you will get to experience such a challenging, yet wonderful season of College life!

      Delete
  2. Interesting story, I've never thought about looking at coffee to boost me up. Always been a power nap person. But anyways, I hate to be off topic but I'm curious about the type of camera you used to take the pictures, you mind telling me?

    brolitz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Thank you! I wasn't used to coffee, so i guess the caffeine is really felt every time I drink one. :)) Power naps are really helpful too. :)) I'm usually using a 2-year old Nikon D3000. But for this post, i oonly used a point and shoot Olympus Tough T10! :))

      Delete

Follow by Email