Now Serving

Thursday, September 13, 2012

I'm not a Mother Teresa wannabe. This adventure is not my NSTP-project. I guess I have discovered one of the new essentials in life. I have decided that serving must be a casual part of my lifestyle.
Last Saturday, we (spontaneously) decided to visit Tondo, and volunteer for Project PEARLS. On our way there, we passed through the busy market – a whole scenario of beautiful mess. Beautiful, in a way that I felt grounded. I watched among hard laboring men, the street sweepers, the vendors, and jobless gamblers in the corner, with little kids barefooted, scavenging for food.
I must admit that I always look forward to weekends of splurging and indulging -- eat out in fancy restaurants, visit any ongoing events, watch a movie, etc. And this weekend was so different. I did not expect to enjoy and appreciate it in this way. I could have been elsewhere, but I am grateful that I was able to spend it in Tondo.
Stepping into a place that is far from what you are used to will teach you tons of lessons. I felt like my restlessness has been opened to this new reality, and my mundane desires were relieved. No, I'm not grateful at the expense of those who are less fortunate, but such reality taught me to be contented. Above all, it compelled me to use life for a better cause, for a greater meaning and purpose and for something bigger than myself.





For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many. - Mark 10:45

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Hello, nice entry you have and awesome photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, awesome post and photos... really makes me miss the Philippines. What's the story behind the 6th photo down? Was there a fire there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Thank you! No, this community is also a charcoal factory. :)) We call it Ulingan! :)) Those are charcoal pits. :)) Here's an article if you want to know more: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2012/01/pictures/120125-charcoal-fuel-scavengers-manila/

      Delete
  3. Gonna follow you! ^_^ It sounds like you have a priceless and amazing story that God is writing. Are there more details in eariler posts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! Thanks for the follow! We all have amazing stories if we actually take time to read what God's writing in our lives! :)) Which post? :))

      Delete

Follow by Email