The Peaceful Lake Sukhna

Tuesday, March 12, 2013


Allow me to relive the 'peace' I experienced in the Sukhna Lake during my last day in Chandigarh. Situated at the foothills of Himalayas, this lake was no other but a sanctuary at the breaking of the dawn. I visited the place along with other hundred IYPF youth to do an advocacy "walk for peace" parade, just one of the culminating activities for the last day of the conference. Contrary to the place, everyone assembled for the ceremony. Then we all got louder and more crowded as the Siberian ducks around the lake's edge. 


I swear, I did not intend to break out from the program, but staying away from the crowd for the sunrise (such a weakness) and enjoying the rare chance of serenity with the Sukhna lake became the better, perhaps, the best option.

And so, I made peace with the environment, with God, and with myself.

I don't know about you, but to me, peace was simply a place. Of course, it is a circumstance. It is a state of tranquility. It is what stress, nuisance, tasks, troubles and chaos are not. It is a physical escape. 

Because of such mindset, I caused this life to completely forget what peace is like and how it feels. Today's season is loaded with internship duties, deadlines, typical busy city life, errands, and all sorts of activities. No wonder why I caught myself crying out to God for rest, for destinations and for more time-- peaceful time.



I was reminded of the story about a King who defined the picture of Peace.
...there were mountains that were rugged and bare. Above was an angry sky from which rain fell and in which lightning played. Down the side of the mountain tumbled a foaming waterfall. This did not look peaceful at all. But when the King looked at the picture, he saw behind the waterfall a tiny bush growing in a crack in the rock. In the bush a mother bird had built her nest. There, in the midst of the rush of angry water, sat the mother bird on her nest in perfect peace...  
The King explained, 'Peace does not mean to be in a place where there is no noise, trouble, or hard work. Peace means to be in the midst of all those things and still be calm in your heart.' (author unknown)
How could this be? How could we be so calm in the midst of all those things? Now, this becomes possible when we have a trusting heart in God. Peace is being assured that even when our world turns upside down, His love and compassion would safeguard us from anything in this world. Peace is when we stop looking at the circumstance, and we start to secure our hearts and fix our eyes towards who God is in our lives. This Peace then translates to joy, love, thanksgiving and worship. For there is no place, no destination, nor anything in this world that could ever give us peace. After all, I found out that Sukhna is an artificial man-made lake, congested with people by midday. Not even this place has reserved peace. The world has so much trouble for us. This is why Jesus asks us to always take heart, be still, and never be afraid; only because He has overcome the world.

I learned, that as I catch the peak-hour train to be on time for work, as I work after one deadline to another, and as I cross the busiest and most polluted street; I would smile to myself, at peace for the grace and the strength of God help me overcome anything and everything that comes my way.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. 
- Phil. 4:7

Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. 
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. - Jesus, John 14:27






You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. This is such a wonderful post. I am also in the midst of troubles recently but I intend to start with finding peace within me. I know I am strong because God is there. I just got to have faith.

    Great pictures!

    Chamee
    http://blog.misslitratista.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Chamee. Yes, indeed. God bless you always! Thank you for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email