The Empire State of Mind

Friday, June 07, 2013

"New York seems horrible, that's why I'm going."  
- Federico Garcia Lorca, Poet in New York



We all grew up so familiar of New York City. There wasn't any great movie filmed apart from its glory. Everyone knows where you could spot Serena Van der Woodsen for drunken evenings. Even from Home Alone days, to Kingkong! That is the very reason why, my traveling heart was least interested with the Empire State. (I know this is a rare case.) When God granted my US trip, I really prayed that He allows me to hug a Redwood tree. Hike the Yosemite park. Fear the wild Pacific coast. Drop jaws before the Grand Canyon. Visit NASA in Texas. Aspen, Alaska… haha the ambitious list goes on. and ok, Disneyland. Hee! But then, I left the West Coast for New York City with unchecked wish list, and maybe Disneyland, without even meeting Mickey Mouse. Hehe. My mom comforted me with "Ok anak, you want nature and trees? Go to Central Park!" Of course, I knew it was my only hope.

After more than a month of my stay here, I finally find myself compelled enough to update this blog for NYC. Worse is, it is actually hard to admit that I have fallen in love with the City. I have not learned to embrace the glitz and glamour, the city life, the blinding lights or any appeal of luxury... I was led to to its most interesting discoveries. I just thought that walking the streets of New York is a journey of four hundred years. Also, rubbing shoulders with the crowd, seeing right before me a universe of desperate but hopeful intentions of the people, from all across the earth... it feels amazing. An Indian local here once convinced me, "You better enjoy now young lady, for there's nowhere in the world like New York City."

After all, the ultimate thing that fuels our lives is contentment. When we travel, we never prepare our own pictures of expectations or preferences; we just need an ocean-wide mind and heart to keep the moments and the memories rolling. Places we've never seen and memories we've never had before. At the end of the day, we could never put our omnipresent God's glory in a box, perhaps the forests.


Allow me to share bits and pieces of my day-to-day adventure in the concrete jungle. I also have to keep writing just to cope with the journey. These are the things that I would not want to forget. I know all my ramblings just would not suffice, but I will try my best to tell you most unique reasons why this City is awesome. (esp. for culture and history lovers, or maybe things that media have overlooked.) Nothing really luxurious, just simple joys and wonders around the great grid. Three things-- travel with me, learn and enjoy!!




‘Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know' 
(Jer. 33:3)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I have never been in New York City... however; my oldest was there and she said she loved how alive it made her feel... :)

    These are some beautiful pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! You should come and visit her and see the City! I'm sure you will love it too!

      Delete

Follow by Email