Brooklyn: Bittersweet

Sunday, June 29, 2014


Today, I've been feeling both anxious and grateful that I decided to write; a way to relive, to remember and to be relieved.


Exactly a year ago, I had one of the most beautiful days of my life. I strolled the lovely streets of Brooklyn with my favourite person in the world. It was past golden hours, and everything was perfect: lofty trees, old apartments, chilly weather and the perfect New York City skyline. It was unlike any touristy-sightseeing days we had around the town. It was meant for some quality time with my Mom. It was my last day in the city.

                                         There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning. 

You could just imagine how goodbyes and separation get us all depressed and anxious. I spent my 18-hour flight back home crying. When do I get to see her again? We all have had other bittersweet moments. Apart from goodbyes, we've had moments of being torn in the happy and the sad. The pros and cons. The good and the bad.  The fast and slow. This at the expense of that. Beautiful but painful. Enjoying and enduring. Nothing totally absolute.

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to His purpose. Rom. 8:28 

If I had to take home something from the trip, it is the fact that if we could not choose only what is better, then we must go through all the things in between in order to have the best. Today, I look back with sheer joy and gratefulness knowing that God lets those uncertain seasons of life become my checkpoints for a destiny that is truly certain. As the poet Sarah Williams put it "I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."

With waiting, comes reward. 
With price and value, come beauty.
With trials, come faith.
With tests, come skills.
With pain, comes strength.
With doubt, comes hope.

It does not come easy, but it is always worth it. 


Muma's photography, as usual. heehee






You Might Also Like

0 comments

Follow by Email